- NOS4A2 by Joe Hill — I have mixed feelings about this one. I had a rough time getting through it, but I never once thought I wouldn’t finish it.
- Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein — I had to stop reading NOS4A2 before going to sleep, so I picked this one up. I finished it in two nights. SO GOOD.
- The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls by Anton DiSclafani — A coming-of-age story set in the mountains of North Carolina and North Florida during the beginnings of the Depression. The cover made me think of Jennifer Lawrence and the setting reminded me of my hometown.
Seeing headlines like this: “Carl Hiassen Captures Florida’s Eccentricities…” really annoys me. Carl Hiassen’s books are set in Florida…sure…but they’re typically in SOUTH Florida. Florida is made up of more than just Miami and Key West. North Florida is NOTHING like South Florida. Miami is pretty much completely separated from the rest of the state by a giant swamp. So no…Miami doesn’t represent the rest of Florida and Hiassen is capturing the weirdness of South Florida. In college it was REALLY annoying because I would say I was from Florida and people would assume I was from Miami. SERIOUSLY? Look at a map! Miami is NOT all of Florida.
Now that I’ve gotten that out…
Last week we bought a waffle iron, this week I tried something my sister had told me about months ago: cinnamon roll waffles. Yeah…I should have gotten more details before I attempted it. The cinnamon burnt, but some of it was edible. Kind of.
We went to see Man of Steel over the weekend and I think I might have a little bit of a crush on Mr. Henry Cavill. He is dreamy, folks. Dreamy. He clearly worked very hard to embody Superman for all the comic book fans out there…good job, sir.
Oh. And the movie was fun, too.
On the Web:
- BookLikes — Anyone tried it? I did…it didn’t really offer me anything new. Perhaps for someone that doesn’t have a blog or hasn’t been using another site for many years, BookLikes is the answer.
- DearAuthor — “Reading with iOS 101” — Any suggestions on how to organize a personal eBook collection? I have eBooks on my Nook, some from Amazon, a couple in iBooks…IS there a way to get them all in one place? Is that what Calibre does?
- Did you see these super cute videos of D pretending to work in a library?!