Because our baby still isn’t here (today is my “estimated due date” which is crap anyway because now they’re recommending changing how they estimate due dates AND at our first ultrasound my due date was estimated to be yesterday instead of today!), Jesse and I have had the chance to spend some quality time together. He’s on vacation, I started maternity leave on Monday (best decision I’ve EVER made). Quality time means that I tell him to do things and he does them. It’s been wonderful. One of the things on my list was to finally finish up the nursery…or the room I probably won’t use for a while but it makes me feel better to have all kinds of stuff in there.
I love how it’s turned out — it’s not themed, it’s totally random, and it’s colorful. All things I wanted. I KNEW I did not want a pink room, so we went with gray. Gender neutral FTW! We had a dresser that didn’t work in our room in the house we are renting, so I convinced Jesse to take on a DIY project. He did an absolutely fantastic job and it looks amazing (I showed off his handiwork in July, too)! We originally chose blue for the dresser, but the gray paint on the walls turned out TOO blue-gray. So we found a fabulous sunshine yellow.
My sister had a spare bookshelf (she has a few spare bookshelves for some reason) that Jesse painted orange — we already need a bigger one. I’ve only loaded it with board books for now, the other books are on a shelf in the closet (which I will not show you because it’s much messier than I want it to be). My sister also supplied most of the artwork and the awesome unicorn from Pockets With Posies on Etsy.
We had paper rosettes left from our wedding so we incorporated those and I made a few new ones to fill the wall over the crib. (We also have pinwheels from our wedding that are still sitting in the dresser drawer — I quickly realized we had too much to put ON the walls in the tiny room).
I also knew I wasn’t going to spend $350-$1000 on a chair (despite how much I maybe wanted one of those super comfy overpriced chairs). So I turned to the interwebz and discovered that you can make any a chair a rocking chair or glider. Then I had to convince Jesse to take on another DIY project: turning one of our IKEA TULLSTA chairs into a rocking chair. Success again! We didn’t require any additional plywood, we just bought this swivel rocker base via Amazon and Jesse did some handyman magic — it probably involved tools and screws. So yay for saving money (and the little ottoman was only $14 at Target!).
So that’s Baby G’s room. Her dresser is filled with clothes, her toy box is filled with blankets, and her crib has a protective mesh liner. Now we just need a baby.